Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus and memory usage (performance issue)

Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> writes:

> I normally don't track memory that closely, but I was pretty surprised
> to open gtop while running Nautilus.
>
> http://null.stanford.edu/mem.png shows visually just how much memory we
> are using. There's a fair number of apps running right there, but the
> single two biggest processes are nautilus (dramatically) and
> nautilus-notes, clocking in at 144MB and 30MB respectively. GIMP with an
> image open is one of those applications smaller than nautilus-notes
> (!!!). I can understand nautilus itself being a large application, but
> nautilus-notes?

I don't think you know how to accurately measure memory usage.

Try the following experiment:

* Kill Nautilus and all related processes

* run top, observe total free memory (and leave it up)

* Run Nautilus

* observe total free memory again

* compute the difference

I get about 12-14M total difference this way. The way you are using
gtop does not account properly for shared memory or parts of
executables or libraries that never page in, I believe.

 - Maciej