Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus and memory usage (performance issue)

On 27 Jan 2001 23:22:56 -0800, Seth Nickell wrote:
> I normally don't track memory that closely, but I was pretty surprised
> to open gtop while running Nautilus.
>
> http://null.stanford.edu/mem.png shows visually just how much memory we
> are using. There's a fair number of apps running right there, but the
> single two biggest processes are nautilus (dramatically) and
> nautilus-notes, clocking in at 144MB and 30MB respectively. GIMP with an
> image open is one of those applications smaller than nautilus-notes
> (!!!). I can understand nautilus itself being a large application, but
> nautilus-notes?
>
> Everything between the two red bars is a directly-nautilus-related
> process (e.g. doesn't include oafd, gconfd, etc). Note that this
> Nautilus has been running for an hour or so. A fresh Nautilus process
> only uses 110MB ( + other peripheral processes like nautilus-notes and
> hyperbola).
>
> Although speed is of direct importance to how users experience Nautilus,
> I think memory usage becomes an important thing to consider for
> something that will probably be "always on". It will affect a user's
> experience of not just Nautilus, but all their applications. I haven't
> noticed these problems because my system has an amount of ram
> appropriate for development, but on a "normal" system with 64/128 megs
> of RAM, Nautilus sure makes its presence felt. Particularly if you
> alternate between using Nautilus and another application you get to wait
> for 30+ seconds for Nautilus to swap itself in every time you use it :-)
>
> -Seth

I am one of the people running nautilus of a system with just 64MB of
memory :(. I am on a
debian unstable system and have built the cvs version of nautilus about
a couple of days old.
I can say that nautilus certainly does a lot of heavy swapping and just
hangs on the verge of
usability for now. In fact I do web browsing with nautilus just for the
simple reason that there is
not enough memory to load netscape or mozilla. Apart from the stats
mentioned above the
nautilus-mozilla view also consumes a lot of memory. The version of
mozilla is 0.7(alienized).
Depending on the type of web page it consumes around 60MB for a
moderately heavy page
and 30 MB for a smallish page. So that itself means that I can't open
two browsing sessions at
time.
Continuing with the mozilla view if there is a web page with intra page
reference of the form say
"glib-basic-types.html#GSSIZE" the mozilla view seems to misinterpret it
and what is displayed
on the location bar is "parentdir#GSSIZE/glib-basic-types.html". I don't
know it anyone else is
facing the same problem.
Another problem is that the location bar is pretty sluggish at least on
my system. It always
trails the typing rate by alleast a few chars.
Apart from the apart problems nautilus pretty good. It is a bit sluggish
at time but for basic file
managing tasks it is very good.

Vijay.