Re: [Nautilus-list] Installer turns Naut Desktop on as Default...

peter foley <peter foley Sun COM> writes:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I used the installer (which is really cool and easy to use, by the way)
> to install the latest RPM's from the /hourly/current page...I then
> started up Naut for the first time after the installation was complete.
> The desktop was taken over by Naut as default. As in, the option 'Use
> Naut to Draw Desktop' in the Appearances tab of the User Settings Menu
> was turned to On as default.
>
> I understand that this is known behaviour, and is meant to happen. The
> thing is that I would have thought that this option would be left to Off
> as default and the choice left up to the user as to whether or not to
> have it turned on.
>
> The fact that any custom icons on the users desktop would be lost would
> be a bit of a pain to the user....and this might be seen as intrusive
> behaviour....
>
> I am looking at this from the point of view of the user doing a first
> time install, who knows little about the expected behaviour of Naut.
>
> anyways, just thought i'd throw that one out to debate,

Peter,

I think our expectation is that when GNOME 1.4 ships, the default
GNOME setup for users will start up with the Nautilus desktop, and the
gmc desktop will never be seen at all.

However, we also plan to make Nautilus able to transfer over the
user's GMC custom desktop links when first run, to avoid the problem
you mention of users losing custom icons.

I think Gene can provide more details on the exact plan here.

 - Maciej