Re: [Nautilus-list] Advanced feature request (learning tasks by example)

on 2/13/01 8:03 PM, Daniel Wang at danwang CS Princeton EDU wrote:

> The AI ideas are certainly, a major undertaking. However, the ability to log
> user interactions in a replayable script format would probably be useful for
> debugging and usability studies too. Is adding such a feature such a
> difficult task?

Yes.

Adding this feature to the Macintosh Finder that was part of Apple's System
7 took about as long as the initial Finder development (2-3 years). And that
was building on top of an already-existing scripting framework.

The component architecture of Nautilus would make such a feature even more
difficult to implement.

But perhaps we'll do this some day anyway. There may be a nice approach that
will cut through the complexity. And since the project is open source, we
might find someone who's interested in doing this for reasons of her own
long before it gets to the top of the list for the current Nautilus hackers
(at Eazel and elsewhere).

    -- Darin