Re: [Nautilus-list] A whole list of feauture requests and bugs

> - Encrypted folders. There is a loopback encrypted filesystem in The

This would be very cool. Perhaps we could even use an "encrypted" emblem
to mark things for encryption.

> - CVS integration. I have not yet seen *any* user-friendly interface to CVS

I have tried to convince a few aspiring Nautilus programmers to work on
a CVS module, but no takers yet. Currently Eazel people are working on
critical functionality, but we're always more than happy to have people
work on plugins and modules. The first step would probably be a
gnome-vfs cvs module.

> - Transparant copying of audio tracks to the hard disk. When a user drags an
> audio track (yes, it should be possible to "mount" audio CDs) to the hard disk
> then a dialog should pop-up asking what format the song should be stored in,
> CDDB should also propose meta-data for MP3s, Ogg Vorbis, etc. This feauture
> request is related to the next one.

I thought we did this...? At the very least it has been discussed.
Gnome-VFS can read audio CDs at the very least, and I thought there was
mention of Gene doing conversion stuff at one point, though I could be
entirely mistaken.

> - Movie view. Just like the music view I would like a 'movie' view. Another
> useful thing would be to start playing the movie when the mouse is over it.

The latter part is rather complex, but a movie view is another great
thing for somebody to write :-) I would recommend starting with XMPS and
wrapping it in a Bonobo control, and moving on from there (actually, I
think XMPS has a bonobo control in CVS).

> on the second tab. A better way IMHO would be to store the emblems in a side
> panel.

I don't know how many people use emblems ATM, but if we want to
encourage their use, this does seem like a reasonable place to put
things...esp. given the rather non-useful items we have there (at least
to me :-)

> - Filters, in the location bar I would like to type /home/jdv/*.txt to see

indeed. Or maybe expand the typeahead to allow selection of multple
files by regular expressions / shell globs.

<snip> Various bug reports :-)

Would you be so kind as to file bug reports for these on
http://bugzilla.eazel.com ? It would help us immensley!

> - The tree panel still doesn't work (it didn't in 0.5 and it still doesn't
> now).

This is a problem with the Debian packages. I don't know what Takuo (the
debian package maintainer) is changing from the norm, but I need to
examine the package source and figure out what's broken one of these
days.

> - Repainting the desktop (and other Nautilus windows) is still to slow and
> shows shadow images.

What do you mean by shadow images? The current expected behavior
regarding desktop slowness is that the background will always be
constant, but it'll have to redraw the icons on the desktop when you
move things over them. If the background itself is showing "trails",
please file a bug!

> - If I use the GNOME control panel to change the background while Nautilus is
> running then the shadow images are parts of the background loaded when
> Nautilus booted or loaded using the Background and Emblems dialog.

OK, this does sound like some evil going on. What's probably happening
is that nautilus isn't setting the background pixmap correctly when the
"old" Background selector is used. This should be fixed in GNOME 1.4
just by the use of the new capplet, but we probably should deal with
this before then too :-)

Thanks for your terrific comments Jonas!

-Seth