Re: [Nautilus-list] snap-to-grid feature I'd like to write

On 12/20/01 8:05 AM, "Alex Duggan" <alex openup com> wrote:

> I've been a nautilus user since 0.1 and I think I'm finally ready to
> attempt to contribute something back.  I would like to write a
> snap-to-grid feature for the nautilus desktop.  I feel this is a very
> important feature that has been missing for far too long.  I'm not very
> familiar with the nautilus source.  Could someone give me a few pointers
> on where to start and what generally I want to do to code this.

Source files to look at are libnautilus-private/nautilus-icon-container.c,
which implements the widget used for the rows of icons,
src/file-manager/fm-icon-view.c, which is the place where that container is
actually used for icon views, and src/file-manager/fm-desktop-icon-view.c,
where specialization for the desktop is done.

Icon positioning is a particularly challenging area of Nautilus to work in.
Good luck! Let me know if you have any specific questions.

    -- Darin