Re: [Nautilus-list] Xft Anti-aliasing, Libart antialiasing?

I'm going to add an additional font name field; this can be set by
applications, within XftConfig or by the users themselves (depending
on
the application).  It will probably just be called 'hinting' and be a
boolean unless people know of a standard enumeration I should use.

Looking at the freetype 2 documentation,

http://freetype.sourceforge.net/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-base_interface.html

It looks like several of the FT_LOAD_* options might be useful; is there a good way to make these options available? I guess you could just make them all available by using the number generated by the bitfield and passing it directly to FT_Load_Glyph(), but that'd probably not be what you want.

The most useful options seem to be:

FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP
FT_LOAD_VERTICAL_LAYOUT (for CJK)
FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT (for people testing freetype)

Whenever you get around to this, please let me know. I want to test :-) So far, I've patched Xft and turned off hinting, to see how things look. Generally, I like it (it just takes some getting used to). Some fonts look better hinted, though, especially certain monospace and serif fonts-- notably Courier New. It looks like the option to hint or not to hint could turn out to be really useful.

Moses