Re: [Nautilus-list] some patches

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:

> On Monday, August 20, 2001, at 05:38  PM, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> >  - change the default bookmarks. Some of this is adding Red Hat
> >    links. I'm not sure what the other changes are; ask jrb.
>
> OK in principle. I'd like to see what the changes are, so this is one I
> definitely need to review. This is the kind of thing I'd expect to be
> patched by Red Hat if the default isn't "Red Hattish" enough, but your
> edited bookmarks are also likely to be suitable for the Nautilus default.

I think it's Red Hatish, and prolly shouldn't be applied.  We might want
to get a good set of default links, though.

> >  - remove the "searching for trash" dialog. search for trash is no
> >    longer expensive. the dialog was sort of confusing anyhow.
>
> I agree that the dialog is sort of confusing. Why do you say that
> "search for trash is no longer expensive"? What changed?

gnome-vfs no longer does a recursive search through mount points trying
to find a place to write.  The top of this thread is a t:
http://lists.eazel.com/pipermail/nautilus-list/2001-July/004743.html

> I do like removing unused code or code that's not doing any good. It's a
> lot easier to have fewer bugs if you have less code.

> >  - remove the "you are running as root" dialog. the main problem is
> >    that this appeared for every single Nautilus window you opened.
> >    kind of annoying. Also, we only had this for gmc since we didn't
> >    really trust gmc to avoid e.g. deleting your filesystem.
> >    I guess we are trusting Nautilus. ;-) so there should be no
> >    need to warn about it.
>
> I have very little opinion about this. And I'll happily take your word
> for it that it's not needed. I really wish Nautilus had its own built-in
> "sudo"
> -type feature. That's the real solution to this sort of thing. To me, it
> still seems bizarre to want to log in as root. Although I'd like to
> review it, please free to commit this change without review if you do it
> carefully.

Indeed.  Now that we have start-here: and system-config: it's more
obvious that we need it.  KDE has some really ugly password storing
demon we can look at.  I imagine it would be easy to port it to GNOME.

-Jonathan