Re: [Nautilus-list] Plugins

On Friday, August 10, 2001, at 07:30  AM, David Pettersson wrote:

Anyway, what I have been thinking about are plugins. As it is now, most
of the nitfy functions are built in to Nautilus like the image viewer,
the music player, search engine etc.

Not really. The image viewer and music player are separate Bonobo components. They are included in the Nautilus package, but they are actually separate executables.

Wouldn't it be better if Nautilus acted like a shell? Everything could
be plugins, and the default distribution would contain some basic
plugins for decent functionality (directory browser, image viewer etc).

That's exactly how Nautilus works.

What I propose is some sort of framework. There could be a plugin
manager, that calls the appropriate plugin based on the URI and
mime-type of the resource to be viewed.

Yes, that's right. That's how Nautilus works.

The directory browser plugin would then be used for all URIs matching
file:// and match all file types *. There could be a image viewer plugin
that matches URIs * and mime-types image/png, image/jpeg etc. There
could be a Samba plugin that matches URIs on the form samba:// and
mime-types * etc.

Again, you've hit on how Nautilus already works.

Any comments?

Now that you know Nautilus already works exactly the way you are asking for, what are you going to do next?

    -- Darin