RE: [Nautilus-list] De-Lurk, Hello, Question: Roadmap?

What might be useful is to, as a roadmap is developed, consider what parts
are core functionality changes/additions, and what are pretty isolated.  I
know that bugzilla does a good job of this, but it might help to attract
additional volunteer effort if development was broken up into isolated
projects.  Like new sidebars, or views.  Or useful scripts.  But changes to
the shell, porting to gnome 2, and any changes to core nautilus are going to
be harder for new people.  I have the feeling, though, that there are a lot
of people in my situation: pretty good programmers, but don't have much
experience in large projects, etc.  These sorts of people could help do all
of the things that would be nice, but Darin and other major contributors
don't have time for dealing with.  If they are also non-core, and more
"sexy" seeming (since they make a user-visible difference), it is more
likely that people will try and do them.  Maybe getting gnome-love
involved/informed of smaller projects that could be taken on.

One thing that I would like to see addressed is what the plans are with
medusa.....I would love to see that mature.  It seems like a lot of the
performance type problems can go away with FAM/gnome-vfs monitoring
filesystem changes.  Searching and VFolders are both very important to me.
Of course, I've got a whole list of things that I would like to see
changed/added, as I'm sure everyone else does.  I remember that Eazel
compiled a list of feature requests right after 1.0, which may be useful for
framing the discussion.  Since much of the work will have to be porting to
the new libraries, it might be good to think about what can give us the most
bang for the buck, in terms of user satisfaction versus coding time.  Or,
identify areas that will be changed anyway, and so features could be added
without increasing instability.

So, let me know where I can help with working on the roadmap, and I'd be
happy to contribute to it.

	--Ryan