Re: [Nautilus-list] problems building from cvs

Ryan Muldoon wrote:

But, I'd
prefer to keep testing/source builds seperate from my "stable"
RPM-installed version of things.  Thoughts on this would be great too.
Thanks in advance.

I have a "solution" for this, although I'm not doing active development on Nautilus myself so your mileage may vary.

I use eazel-hacking, the salient feature of which is that it places the built nautilus binary (and other GNOME binaries) into the /gnome prefix to separate them from /usr. I then have a local user on the box called "gnometest"; as gnometest I start a vncserver session which first puts /gnome/bin ahead of /usr/bin in the path (and sets up other variables to fix this) and then launches the GNOME desktop.

As myself, I then start a vncviewer instance which views gnometest's desktop, and I can run development versions of nautilus and other GNOME software without interfering with my running copies of the stable versions.

So far this has worked reasonably well for me doing reef stuff, but as I said I don't know if there are problems you'll run into doing nautilus development.

Adam