[Nautilus-list] Restart of Nautilus is requires unusual actions

Hello List,

I can't stop and then restart Nautilus without some unusual actions on
my part.

After starting, I get the following from "ps ax | grep nautilus":

 5739 ?        S      0:02 nautilus
 5762 ?        S      0:00 nautilus-throbber
--oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:nautilus_
 5768 ?        S      0:00 nautilus
 5769 ?        S      0:00 nautilus
 5772 ?        S      0:00 nautilus-notes
--oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:nautilus_not
 5779 ?        S      0:00 nautilus-history-view
--oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:nauti
 5780 ?        S      0:00 nautilus
 5787 ?        S      0:00 nautilus-adapter
--oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:nautilus_a

One remains after I close the program down using "close all windows"
from the menu:

 5859 ?        S      0:00 nautilus --sm-client-id
117f0000010000987101294000000

Once I attempt restart, Nautilus doesn't open - but another process
starts:

 5859 ?        S      0:00 nautilus --sm-client-id
117f0000010000987101294000000
 5871 ?        S      0:00 nautilus

and I can do this over and over:

 6348 ?        S      0:00 nautilus --sm-client-id
117f0000010000987101727000000
 6360 ?        S      0:00 nautilus
 6375 ?        S      0:00 nautilus
 6388 ?        S      0:00 nautilus

Killing any of the new processes is successful and uneventful, but if I
kill the process with the  --sm-client-id argument and there are none of
the 'basic' "nautilus" processes running, Nautilus quickly regenerates
itself.  If there is one or more of the 'basic' "nautilus" processes
remaining, I can kill the --sm-client-id process, then all the 'basic'
ones, and then can I start a new Nautilus session. This is the only
way.  Any ideas?

Of course I could just keep Nautilus running all the time - that's what
I usually do.

I'm running on RH 7.0 with Ximian Gnome.

Nautilus is great - thanks.

--
David Haffner
Science Systems and Applications, Inc.