[Nautilus-list] Re: Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

I'm not in a position to accept or refuse patches, but...

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 01:20:49PM -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> This patch is the Nautilus side of things to share the same desktop
> directory as gmc does and allow the user to switch between the file
> managers (shared nfs, different fms running, different contraints,
> etc)
>
> We are shipping this in the upcoming Ximian GNOME release, together
> with the gmc patches that accompany it (some gmc pieces are already on
> cvs).

What is the benefit of this over the Nautilus first-time druid?

> This patch does:
>
> 	* Reload of desktop directory contents every 4 seconds.

Thats gonna kill battery life on laptops - could you make this a preference
rather than hard-coded?

> 	* Recognizes .desktop files and uses the icon specified in the
>           .desktop file to display its contents (you can now browse
>           /gnome/share/apps or your control center directory and see
>           the icons in there).
>
> 	* Uses gnome-metadata to get icons for icons on the
>           ~/.gnome-desktop directory (only place where gmc ever set
>           icons due to the mem-leaky design of imlib)
>
> 	* Updates gnome-metadata for icon screen location on location
>           change.
>
> 	* Updates gnome-metadata for caption for desktop icons.

Have patches gone into GMC to recognise Nautilus links and update Nautilus
icon metadata?

Ian