[Nautilus-list] Playing MP3s

Per Seth's suggestion in a message sent on the 18th to the list:

When I try to play an MP3 under Nautilus, I have several problems.....

1.  There are more than 300 .mp3 files in the directory.....and with
anything more that 1 screenful when in list mode (that's all I ever
use), any remaining data is essentially rendered unreadable due to
having many horizontal lines of pixels missing as the scrollbars
apparently malfunction.   Some lines appear correctlly, some only
partially but with correct spacing and some are overlaid on other lines
to varying degrees.  I have not found any method that will give a clean
display other than on the first screenful of lines.   Only 1 screenful
is displayed correctly regardless of magnification.

The second seems to be totally unrelated to the first problem.

2. When I select a mp3 file to play, regardless of where it is in the
list and regardless of whether it shows properly on the screen or not,
if I double click on the file, I get no response at all.  If I right
click and press open, I again get nothing.  If I right click and select
open with, Nautilus tells me that "No applications are available" for
whatever I try to play and offers to let me open the Gnome Control Panel
and adjust the MIME properties for the .mp3 file type.  Checking that, I
find that entries that work properly under GMC do not show up with the
same data under Nautilus.   Under action for an mp3, the entry is none,
not xmms as would be seen normally.   If I try to add an action, I can
type in a new value but it never gets added to the list.  The result is
that I can never get the mp3 to play.  The Gnome Control Panel also
leaves a shadow of itself on the screen after it disappears, removing
the text and graphics of an area the size of the dialog box but offset
from the actual original placement.   Looks like the offscreen buffer
isn't really offscreen but I don't muck around with the hardware anymore
and I'm feeling much better now.

Karen