Re: [Nautilus-list] Configuring applicaioton types

on 9/10/00 11:49 AM, Loyd Goodbar at lgoodbar ispchannel com wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes:
> In Nautilus, I want to associate .PDF files with Acrobat Reader (or XPDF, if
> you prefer). When I right click and choose "open with" "other application", I
> get a message stating "No applications are available...." and am offered to
> going to the GNOME control center to configure this with "File Types and
> programs".
> However, I don't see this option in the control center. I see only MIME types
> and URL handlers. MIME types do not allow you to associate a document type
> "PDF document" (that Nautilus complains it doesn't know how to handle) with
> Acrobat reader.
> Using with Helix-GNOME 1.2.

"PDF document" should appear in the Description column of the "File Types &
Programs" control center page, where "application/pdf" appears in the Mime
Type column. Selecting that line should let you set an application or viewer
to handle pdf files.

However, be warned that the "File Types & Programs" page is pretty darn
buggy in Preview Release 1. I know some bugs have been fixed in the CVS
version since then, but I'm not sure which things were and weren't working
correctly in PR1.

John