Re: [Nautilus-list] File renaming

Manuel Clos <llanero jazzfree com> writes:

> Steve Fox wrote:

> > > There was some controversy over whether <Enter> should perform the
> > > default action (i.e. open/activate the file) or start renaming. For
> > > now it was decided by our usability experts to go with <Enter> being
> > > the shortcut for rename and see how that works out, because that's how
> > > it works on the Macintosh.
> >
> > Seems a bit odd to me, but I don't have any Mac experience either :)
> >
> > I assume this was changed in CVS then? I'm using Preview 1 and it still
> > performs the default action when I press Enter.
>
> I never used a Mac, but Enter instead of F2 is better IMHO.
>
> I like the Space key to do the open/activate thing, as it is used
> in togglebuttons and such, but this is used in Windows when selecting
> files...
> so, how will you add files to a selection (with keyboard navigation) if
> the
> space key open/activate?

In Nautilus, Ctrl+O is the open/activate keyboard shortcut. Space does
not do anything. Actually, I wasn't able to figure out a way to select
multiple files with the keyboard at all. Maybe I did not try hard
enough.

If Enter were not the shortcut for rename, we almost definitly would
_not_ pick F2, since we don't use function keys for keyboard shortcuts
in Nautilus. I'm not responsible for choosing keyboard bindiings, but
I imagine it would be something like Ctrl+R.

 - Maciej