Re: [Nautilus-list] building nautilus on linuxppc 2000

Bcc:

  From: J Shane Culpepper <pepper eazel com>
  Subject: Re: [Nautilus-list] building nautilus on linuxppc 2000
  Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:36:20 -0700

>I believe v3.0.4 and v3.0.3 should work and maybe v3.0.5.
>
>-Shane

( I apologize in advance, I am not at the computer that I was building on so I may not remember all the details necessar but I will do my best)

I originally had rpm 4.0-0.37 but had upgraded to 4.0-0.55 before making my previous posts.  The errors were the same for each. I uninstalled 4.0-0.55 (and rpm-build, rpm-devel, and rpm-python) and download source for 3.0.3 from rpm.org. it built and installed fine.  (I couldn't fine the sources for the other rpm utils that I had removed)

I tried to build nautilus again and got the exact same result.  that didn't work so I rebuild all the modules from download.eazel.com using the instructions (i.e. exporting the /usr/local/... ), and I got the same errors.

I downloaded and installed the rpms packages for 3.03-02 (including the build, devel, and python packages) and repeated the full nautilus build. same thing happened.

I repeated this for version 3.04-xx (where xx = [.33, .36, .45]) and for 3.05-9.6x and 9.6xa.

this all returned the same error where functions in nautilus-rpm-veiw.c where not found (undefined).  These functions were defined in librpm.h which was included in nautilus-rpm-view.c.

I actually found that I had to librpm files on my system (if I remember correctly, one was in /usr/lib/ and the other was in /usr/local/lib/ but I am probably wrong) so I tried changing the include statement in the rpm-view source file.  this did not help.

Desperate, I commented out the sections in nautilus-rpm-view.c dealing with these undefiled functions. I then ran make from the rpmview directory.  now, with large chunks of code missing, it refused to build for other reason that I can't remember exactly.

I went to the nautilus main make file and took out references to rpmview.  this time it gave some  errors dealing with mozilla.

Tired, I took references to mozilla out of the main make file.

Nautilus built find after that.

It even displays web pages (poorly) using the gtkhtml libs (I guess these would normally be pre-empted in favor of mozilla?)

I gives the right icons to rpm files but will not expand or display the contents of the rpm files.

So far Nautilus looks great, it even runs decently on my slow 180mhz machine.

only problem so far is that it plays mp3s at about 5x normal speed and no rpm or mozilla support.

I would still like to put the proper mozilla and rpm support into it though.

Thanks in advance.

Get "Your Linux Desktop on the Net" at http://www.workspot.com