Re: [Nautilus-list] Desktop window

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
Ben Ford <ben kalifornia com> writes:

> "Blad, John Erling" wrote:
>
> > >6) It allows Nautilus to easily add a right-click menu to the desktop.
> >
> > I can't see why a filemanager should have the responsibility for this.
> >
> > > - Maciej
> >
> > John
>
> John, I agree with you, but in all fairness GMC adds right click menus.  But
> the point that it does so without having to take over the whole desktop
> should be made.
>
> Unfortunately it seems that I will be staying with GMC for a bit longer.  I
> have a need to be able to write to the root window and I am not going to give
> this up for a file manager.

For what purpose do you need to write to the root window? We'd like to
address specific user concerns, if reasonable. Is there a particular
program you use that draws on the root window?

 - Maciej

I have several.  I use root-tail to tail logs on the root window.  Sometimes I run screensaver visuals as a background.  I have a periodic background changer.  I have a script that places the latest UF comic on the background.  Xpenguins.  Xsnow.  Xfishtank.  Etc.  Obviously I don't run all at once!

If you could do some kind of plugin architecture that would allow simple coding to implement these, then it won't be as big an issue, but that may end up being more trouble than it's worth.

Perhaps as another option, would be the XOSD library.  It places shaped text on the screen.  It looks as tho it appears above other windows, but that may be just an option.  I am sure that it could be extended to include icons.

http://www.ignavus.net/software.html

-b