Re: [Nautilus-list] Is PR2 much different from the latest rpm-snapshot?

Hi Aschwin,

Please keep topics like this on nautilus-list, so other list readers can see
the answers also. I've re-included nautilus-list on this reply.

on 11/8/00 11:54 PM, Aschwin van der Woude at aschwin sofis fi wrote:

>> Not now, but they have already started to diverge, and this divergence
>> will probably accelerate soon. PR2 will probably be more stable than the
>> latest rpm-snapshot for awhile, since it was tested much more
>> extensively than the day-to-day development builds are.
>
> I figured as much, I downloaded the snapshot at the moment I tried and
> failed to use the PR2-installer.
> I must say I really like the services, I tried the install-service.
> It is almost heavenly to use Nautilus.
>
> I tried to organize my home-dir, and found it fairly simple to do with
> nautilus. I like the sound-preview, this way organizing my mp3-files was
> very easy. I normally do file-operations in the shell, but nautilus
> didn't stand in the way doing it in a graphical manner.
>
> I observed some people here in the company, how they copy files using
> MS-windows. And one of them uses the copy and paste-buttons in the
> explorer-toolbar. Nautilus doesn't have those buttons. Did your
> user-tests found this was too hard to understand for most users? It at
> least seems very easy.

We've debated cut/copy/paste for files, but we won't be implementing it for
the first release of Nautilus. We might do so in a future release, but it is
reasonably controversial. The main problem to me is the behavior of Cut --
is the original file removed when you select Cut, or not until you choose
Paste? The former matches the behavior of Cut for other data types, but is
dangerous -- you could easily lose files by copying some other data while
the Cut file was on the clipboard. The latter is safer -- nothing happens to
the file until you Paste, but makes the behavior of Cut depend on the type
of data that is Cut, which violates a commonly accepted tenet of good UI. I
think other people have other objections also. In any case, we don't have
time to implement and test this feature properly for our first version
(given all the other work still remaining), so we won't have it initially.

> Is there a way to select multiple-files by using shell meta-characters?
> I tried /home/aschwin/*eazel* and /home/aschwin/*txt, but this didn't
> work.

We've talked about some possible future ways to do this kind of thing, but
once again we won't have a feature like this in Nautilus 1.0.

John Sullivan