Re: [Nautilus-list] Status...

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> That's true. I was imagining a Delete feature as just like rm,
> i.e. not undoable. If it were undoable, it would be sort of like
> putting the item in the trash only invisible, which seems rather
> confusing UI-wise. In particular, there'd be no way to ensrue the item
> is permanently gone, if you can always Undo a Delete.

Yes, come to think of it, I'd never actually tried to Undo a permanent
delete on Windows, for example... and you can't, which sort of makes
sense.  The trashcan *is* the Undo feature for deletes... which you
could argue is sort of confusing in itself-- why should Undo-ing a
delete be any different from undoing anything else?  But we can debate
that one some other time :o)

> The Trash approach is definitely better
> than having a confirmation dialog each time you try to delete.

Yes, I agree.  Windows only lets you bypass the trashcan by using the
Shift+Delete shortcut, rather than Delete on its own... there's no way
to do it using the mouse/menus.  That perhaps isn't such a bad way to do
it, if you really wanted to-- it's certainly not something you're likely
to do by mistake.

BTW, we really need a UK+Eire-localised version... nobody calls them
"trashcans" over here :o)

Cheeri,
Calum.

"La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais
 quand il ne reste rien à enlever." -- A. de St.Exupery