Re: Linux for PDAs / Re: [Nautilus-list] current thinking oncanvas vs. anti-aliased canvas

At 02:40 19/06/2000 -0700, enickell wrote:
While the Nautilus framework may work on a PDA, your comments concerning
XML are appropriate. That is that the way you *view* the data changes.
This decision (which has been deferred anyway) affects a particular view
- one which probably would not be appropriate to a PDA.

-Seth

Agreed, but I thought it would be a good idea to ensure all elements of Nautilus have the flexibility to adapt to their environment, or "evolve" (there's one for helixcode... ;) )

Kevin

> I believe that there is an area that we are all overlooking - that of
> multi-platform flexibility. Currently we are looking at Linux on a
> "standard" PC platform, and through Nautilus are trying to make it as user
> friendly yet as flexible as possible. However, we should also note that
> some developers are looking at putting embedded Linux into other
> environments such as PDAs, which have not only different screen sizes /
> colour depths, but also different usability concerns (the need for clean
> interfaces, large icons etc).
>
> In the case of something such as XML, the data and the representation of
> that data are separate - so the way that I see it, it should be possible to
> design a page that uses long descriptions and fancy graphics for PCs yet
> uses cleaner formatting and simplified graphics for a PDA or Internet
> Appliance.
>
> I think that some thing such as Nautilus is a good idea not only for the
> desktop, but for any graphical Linux application. Imagine being able to use
> Nautilus as the application browser on a palmtop such as the palm and you
> might see what I'm getting at.
>
> So my reason for saying this all here is that surely the rendering should
> be as flexible as possible, all the way from zero anti-aliasing all the way
> to 36 bits or higher, depending on the environment / user prefs. We need
> flexibility of the kind mentioned above to provide the real "killer" app.

Kevin Rochowski
Systems Engineer
Cisco Systems Ltd
3 The Square