Re: [Nautilus-list] nautilus copies of help tools

> On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Ian McKellar wrote:
>
> > Is it worth making these really Nautilus specific?
>
> They do not explicitly depend on Nautilus - they just need to tie in well
> with the help browser internals, and to do that requires tightly
> coordinated development.

Actually - in my opinion these tools do not  need 'tightly coordinated
development' with Nautilus. Maybe in the future they will, but right now
they don't. What will happen in the future (jrb started this and I'm gonna
finish it up) is that Nautilus reads the HTML over the pipe URI method,
basically. So as long as these 'tools' provide valid output Nautilus will
render it. My work on the 'pipe' method in gnome-vfs will also allow in the
future for any type of mime-type over it (e.g. XML)

> > We could move from man/info -> HTML translation to man/info -> XML
> > translation and use the XML+CSS support in mozilla to do the
> > rendering.
>
> Yes, I suppose that will be done eventually, but that is a "would be nice
> in six months" thing, rather than "needs to be done soon" thing - mozilla
> will still handle the HTML just fine. :)

Umm, sorry if this sounds ignorant or something - but whats wrong with HTML,
why do we need XML+CSS? By the way, for gnome-db2html2 it is an SGML file
already. From what I /understand/ I think it would also classify as an XML
file. If we could skip using 'gnome-db2html2' entirely (for DocBook stuff),
I'm sure that would be much cooler ;)

Ali