Re: [Nautilus-list] Audio and Bookmark

Jean-Michel Ardantz wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a question and a proposition for Nautilus
>
> 1- I have noticed a change recently. When I move (only moving not clicking) the
> mouse over an audio file (wav, mp3), the music is played. This is cool but a
> bit confusing. Why then moving the mouse over a image file or text file does not
> open them ? I think it would be better to have homogeneous actions.

The idea is that playing the sound (after a brief delay) is analogous to previewing
image files with thumbnails, or previewing text files by showing a little bit of
their content in the icon. It's more lightweight than opening the file with a
viewer or application. Those options will also be available using the standard
mechanism.

We do love to get feedback on all UI issues, especially experimental ones like the
sound preview. So if you have more comments on the matter, please let us know! (One
possibility is to make the sound preview optional; another is to change the UI so
the user has to take a more explicit action to hear the preview.)

> 2- I don't know if it is already planed but I also think the bookmark should
> use trees to be able to group the differents links by categories. Something like
> that:
> http://www.ifrance.com/ardantz/linux/nautilus/proposition1.jpg

We have thought about this, but it's not in our plan for the first release, only
because there are too many other features that we feel are more necessary
initially. I thought we had a post-1.0 task about it in bugzilla.eazel.com, but I
couldn't find one just now when I searched. I'll add such a task to our set.

John