Re: [Nautilus-list] slashdot, demo script and more

On 17 Aug 2000 23:20:45 -0700
 Maciej Stachowiak <mjs eazel com> wrote:

#>Can't we copy & paste files to another
#> directory?  I thought this is the whole point of a file manager.
#

# We already have a task to add cut & paste
#for files, or similar functionality, to Nautilus, but have decided not
#to include that in the 1.0 release. However, you can add your comments
#to the bug report on this in bugzilla.eazel.com if you think this is
#an important feature.

Yeah...this is really all I do with a file manager...how could it not be important? How
else are we supposed to maintain our files orderly in various folders, subfolders if we
cannot move them around, etc.? I remember reading (on this list) that the terminology is
off (copy, paste is for word processing, etc.) so whatever you want to call it.... catch
files, select files, capture files  -----> Move files, relocate, transfer  isn't that
important..as long as the functionality is there.  I would hope it would make it into 1.0
or I'd imagine people would think of Nautiulus as more of a file searcher, viewer,
multi-media finder, etc.   rather than a "file manager"...manipulating files, changing
sticky bits, etc.

#> --When choosing Edit / Customize ...to show ALL backgrounds you should increase the
#width another 10 to 15 pixels so one doesn't have to vertically scroll.
#
#That's a good suggestion. Of course, the number of available
#backgrounds is only going to increase, so in the long run we won't be
#able to avoid vertical scrolling, I think.

I know that I only wish to scroll one way.  If it's vertical then so be it.  But I can't
imagine scrolling horizontally...then vertically and then horizontally then
vertically..makes no sense whatsoever.  Just limit your columns to say 5 or 6 and then
just have the user scroll vertically up/down to view various backgrounds.

#
#> --Previewing text in icons...at 100%, 150% & 200% it shows up but one would think at
#400% it'd almost be readable....will it be or is this intentional?
#
#I'm not sure what you mean.

At 400%...there isn't any text showing in the icons.  It says as you ZOOM the icons show
an increasing amount of detail.  So I thought at 400% would could perhaps read a few lines
that are contained within the actual text file.  In 100%, 150% and 200% you can see the
text...why not 400%?
#
#> --mp3 and sound...now for a cd with soundbites say 5,000 moving the mouse over and
#having
#> it start playing might be cool.  However, I find it definitely annoying.  Say if I'm
#> listening to something I have to WAIT until it's done until I do anything else with my
#> computer (move the mouse) otherwise it'll stop playing...come one...this is too much.
#> Perhaps leave this option but please don't have it enabled by default.
#
#This feature is not intended as a primary UI for playing MP3s. The
#point is to get a quick preview - much the same as the image
#thumbnailing and text preview give you a quick look at text or image
#files before you open them. It is possible to turn this feature off,
#of course, and we are considering how to make it best for the user.

Ok say a friend cruises over and wants some mp3's (totally hypothetical situation).  So
you play an mp3 (without opening xmms and scrolling through the playlist).  Open nautilus
and start playing a mp3.  As you listen he says what other mp3's ya got?  Well your stuck
and can't move the mouse and browse other directories of mp3s for artists and song titles.
No offense but this sounds like a feature (current implemenation) for partially blind
people who can't read mp3 songs.  I vote to have a one click starts playing the song and
continues playing it.
#> --thumbnails don't look too hot at 400%...semi decent at 200%.  Will there be a way to
#> specify the pixel size to generate thumbnails...or is that too much?
#
#Can you be more specific?

that are look blurry at 400% because the actual thumbnails are much smaller.  Actually
it's not a big deal...but I'm running at 1024x768.  Some though run at 1600x1200 or
800x600 so being able to specify thumbnail size (like in GQView).
0.3.0 - 04/24/98 GQView Changelog http://gqview.sourceforge.net/view-hist.html
Thumbnail size can be selected (General Options tab).

#
#> --thumbnails even in list view...can't we use the list view for SPEED...or do we have
#> disable the NEVER show thumbnails in the settings?
#
#Thumbnails get created asynchronously - you should be able to do any
#operation you want, and thumbnails will be created and loaded in the
#background. Does that address your concerns, or is there another
#feature you would like to be able to disable thumbnails for the list
#view specifically?

Yes...I thought if one were to use list view we could perhaps keep generic icons..but
generating small dinky icons defeats the purpose of a speedy view.  Eye candy is great but
can be excessive sometimes.  Please give us the option to enable/disable thumbnail
previews in List View.

#
#> --Move to Trash....I envision it'll allow use to have the option to delete it
#immediately
#> rather than go sifting through the trash can every now and then?
#
#As far as I know, we don't plan on this right now.

then it's much simpler to do rm -rf /stuff rather then using nautilus to find stuff
directory and choosing to delete it and then going to hunt it down in my trash box and
then emptying that.  I windows I always have it checked "Remove immediately".  Please give
us the choice.

#I hope I have addressed some of your concerns. Any that I haven't -
#please file bug reports at bugzilla.eazel.com! :-)

yes..I intend too.  Just didn't want to quite yet...wanted to get a feel for what is "not
implemented yet" and "implemented currently so it's a bug to file".  thanks for answering.

adam http://www.kaikun.com 3,500 photos
http://thinknic.kaikun.com  more photos