[Nautilus-list] Re: libxml Issues

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 12:02:36PM -0700, Darin Adler wrote:
> on 8/2/00 11:30 AM, Daniel Veillard at Daniel Veillard w3 org wrote:
> > The problem was that the changes needed to the code were unclean.
> > It is now possible with recent releases of libxml2/libxml to compile
> > exactly similar code with both.
>
> I know that the changes were "unclean" and I remember dealing with this. I
> also noted your release note that says you can compile similar code with
> both. But I am a bit confused by your use of tags in cvs. We develop using
> the LIB_XML_1_X tag in cvs. Perhaps we should have moved to another branch,
> because it seems that this branch does not include the changes in recent
> releases that allow source code compatibility with libxml2. For some reason
> LIB_XML_1_X is not tracking your changes to libxml.

  I'm using LIB_XML_1_BRANCH tag for the 1 branch. But I really commit
critical stuff there ...

> > It is possible to have libxml/libxml2 installed together. But only
> > one of the devel packages can be installed at a time. One also cannot
> > link simultaneously to libxml and libxml2. But both shared libs can
> > be present and in use in the system.
>
> This creates a real problem for us. We need to be able to compile many
> different modules in the same prefix. So unless there is an irresistible
> reason not to, this problem would be enough reason for us to switch to
> libxml2 as part of our GNOME 2.0 changes rather than doing it before then.

  The more you wait, the harder it will be to switch. Considering
that you don't really have a user base now, it's far less costly to do
it now than later. If you're minimally concerned about internationalization
then you should switch Right Now. libxml may break/crash or output
invalid XML in case it get input in different encoding than UTF8 or
Iso Latin 1.

Daniel

--
Daniel Veillard w3 org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW