Re: [Nautilus-list] Plain Text Problems

on 8/2/00 3:50 AM, Ali Abdin at aliabdin aucegypt edu wrote:

> There appears to be a problem with the Text component that comes with
> bonobo :) It seems to want to be able to handle HTML stuff which prevents help
> from rendering correctly in Nautilus (at least with help/gtkhtml - Mozilla
> seems to work fine). Here is the text-plain.oafinfo excerpt:
> <oaf_attribute name="bonobo:supported_mime_types" type="stringv">
> <item value="text/plain"/>
> <item value="text/html"/>
> <item value="special/webdav-directory"/>
> <item value="text/*"/>
> </oaf_attribute>
>
> I fixed it by removing text/html entry - and everything seems to work fine. I
> do not understand why the text component wants to handle text/html ;)

I think you may be confused about the notion of "wants to handle" here. The
text component is saying that it knows how to display this kind of text,
meaning people can view HTML as plain text if they want to.

There is no problem with this; it's a good idea. However it should be
redundant. Listing "text/*" should be sufficient and we should be able to
remove the "text/plain" and "text/html" items above with no effect.

There's a separate mechanism to determine which viewer is the default for a
given MIME type which has nothing to do with ".oafinfo", which merely
establishes which viewers can handle a given MIME type. That separate
mechanism should take care of ensuring that, as shipped, "text/html" is
displayed as help content, not as plain text. That is where you should be
focusing your attention to fix the problem "prevents help from rendering
correctly in Nautilus".

It seems very unusual to me that removing "text/html" from the list above
has any effect at all.

Maciej is the expert on why this might be so.

    -- Darin