Re: [Re: [Nautilus-list] Running nautilus, gconfd and oafd]

I think you're right. I did do `make install` but I installed everything
related to nautilus in a separate prefix from my stable gnome installation.
(Ignoring the warning in the nautilus HACKING file.)

The error occurs in nautilus_file_utilities.c line 135 in function

const char *
nautilus_user_top_directory (void)
{
src = gnome_datadir_file("nautilus/top");
command = g_strdup_printf ("cp -R %s %s", src,user_top_directory);

The macro gnome_datadir_file in libgnome calls gnome_file_locate in
gnome-util.c. This in turn looks in the GNOMEDATADIR/share dir. However it
also checks the directories(with /share tacked on) in the environment variable
$GNOMEDIR.

Anyway I set $GNOMEDIR. It didn't work, but I only have gnome-libs-1.0.55-12
so I may need to upgrade. Apparently this means that some of the "assumptions"
that nautilus makes are actually gnome assumptions. The only question I have
is why are there two environment variables $GNOME_PATH and $GNOMEDIR that seem
to do the exact same thing?

Anthony.

Ali Abdin <aliabdin aucegypt edu> wrote:
> > ** WARNING **: could not execute 'cp -R (null) /root/.nautilus/top'.
Make
> > sure you typed 'make install'
>
> Did you do a "make install" or just a "make"? This sounds like your gnome
> data directory does not have a a nautilus/top directory in it.

I encountered this error too - I did a 'make install' (but
using --prefix=/gnome).

I think that is the problem. Nautilus makes 'assumptions' on where stuff
should
exist.

I manually got around this by copying the $(prefix)/share/nautilis top to my
~/.nautilus
directory