[Muine] Ratings

Hi All,

We've implemented a rating feature for albums, similar to existing programs (e.g. itunes), but which works only for albums and allows you to filter when you search in the AddAlbum dialog. Our rationale for this is a overly large music collection on a nfs share being accessed by several users with different preference--other rationales can easily be imagined.

Although something approximating this feature could be implemented by the groups and playlist filling feature [1], we felt it was a simpler and more usable solution in that ratings are easily set by a single click in the add album dialog.

The dilemma: currently we've implemented this by changing the main muine source tree, however we realise that it might not be a feature that should not be within the core muine functionality (some people probably won't use it). As such a plugin might be more appropriate, but as things stand, major changes would need to be made to the PluginLib and main source tree to allow us to do this.

So we thought we'd get some feedback from others on the list as to what they think is the best approach before taking it further. Obviously for us the least painful thing would be to add it as is, but we are open to other (reasonable) ideas.

Cheers,
Tom and Zol

[1] http://muine-player.org/wiki/ProposalGroupsAndPlaylistFilling