Re: [Muine] a multiuser muine ?

(sent for the third time due to email problems, sorry if you got this multiple times)

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 00:35 -0800, drwho102003-muine yahoo com wrote:

> [...]
> As advanced browsers appear in many devices (e.g. cells, mini-tablets
> like the Nokia 770), the UI to this multiuser-muine can be used by
> many people at once, and from many kinds of devices.

I am currently working on McReceiver (http://debain.org/?p=80), a server
that is implemented as a plugin for Muine. It is not HTTP based though,
mainly because it requires a persistent TCP connection over which the
server sends back notifications to the clients. (Polling sucks)

It is virtually ready, and you can already implement a small client.
Until remote playlist support works there are still some problems to
resolve:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/muine-list/2005-December/msg00000.html

The server also provides only remote control functionality, it is not a
streaming server. Streaming is a complete separate issue and
should IMO be implemented as such. Nevertheless, it should be relatively
easy to convert
McReceiver from a plugin into a standalone version.

As a sidenote: I have also elaborated on the possible other choices for
implementing a good multimedia server in GNOME.
(http://debain.org/?p=71)
Bottom line: A gnome-multimedia-server that is used as common backend
for all desktop music players would probably be the "right" thing to do.
That would also mean that when using multiple audio players, it is
possible to have all players (and their playlists) in sync. Similar to
what e-d-s does for calendaring currently.

-Samuel