Re: [Muine] [Patch] Better album defining

On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 20:17 +0100, iain wrote:
> Two possibly fairly typical use cases that Muine seems to have problems
> with:
>
> Case #1
>
> I have a pretty poorly tagged mp3 collection. As an example I have
> tracks by KOOP, Koop and koop, from albums called "Waltz for Koop.",
> "waltz for koop" and "Waltz For Koop". Its pretty clear that these are
> all the same album - "Waltz For Koop" by Koop. Muine however gives me 3
> albums.

> I guess the real question in all this is "How well do we want Muine to
> handle poorly organised and poorly tagged files?". I know it would be
> nice to insist that people organise their files in a heirarchal
> Genre/Artist/Album directory structure and have all their files
> correctly tagged, but I think its really silly to believe that that
> would happen for most people.

hmm...maybe the best would be to have a different application that
corrects those tagging errors/inconsistencies....

also things that you describe (some files ripped from a cd, some of them
from a friend's itunes, some of them....)...maybe aren't that typical
for the average user....

i don't know i'm just thinking...

it just seems that we can come up with various heuristics do detect
which file belong where (like if i have a directory called
documents/music/rammstein/herzeleid/1.mp3 - 15.mp3, then that's an
album),but imho we won't find all the cases, and:
-we will complicate muine to handle those cases
-but we still won't provide the power-users with enough options

i'm not saying i don't like your patch. i like it. it's just the muine
devels should decide how much heuristics/editing is supposed to go into
the program.

gabor