Re: [Muine] Muine doesn't play Ogg Vorbis files

Hi,

Yo'av Moshe wrote:
> Truth is I never looked into Muine's configure.in - all I know is
> that on my Gentoo, I can compile Muine with oggvorbis support or
> not, and using xine-lib or gstreamer.

well, you "know" incorrectly ;) It's simply impossible to not compile
Vorbis support in without patching Muine. If you are referring to the
"oggvorbis" USE flag, then have a look at the ebuild: it's only for
the gstreamer build (it's used in !xine section of the script only).
You can verify it without reading the ebuild: "emerge unmerge libogg
&& emerge muine" will fail with "configure: error: You need Ogg" and
if you "emerge unmerge libvorbis && emerge muine", you'll see that
libvorbis is re-emerged even if USE="-oggvorbis".

Anyway, I tracked the problem down to completely broken MIME database
in my GNOME installation. Some recent upgrade broke it and GNOME,
including e.g. Nautilus, doesn't recognise most of file types anymore
(strangely, it still recognises audio/mp3). Since Muine (correctly)
relies on MIME types and not extensions for file type identification,
it's affected as well. I don't use Nautilus myself, so I didn't
realize it until now. Sorry for the false alarm, it's unrelated to
Muine.

Regards,
Vaclav

--