Re: [Muine] album library

Hey,

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 02:51 +0000, markus riester student uni-tuebingen
de wrote:

> hi!
>
> just installed your nice app. I really like this concept. Just a few things:

Glad you like it. :)

> -your algorithms for grouping mp3s in albums are sometimes a bit stupid. I
> have quite a lot of duplicates. I looked at the tags and there are often just
> one typo in a few mp3s (most of them would be filtered out with ignoring
> upper/lower case). your cover-fetch alogorithm is more intelligent ;). so why
> not take an edit distance (The smallest number of insertions, deletions, and
> substitutions required to change one string into another) of one or two (or
> 10% of albumtitle length) instead of exact match?

Muine is meant for properly tagged corrections- we won't include tricky
code for grouping "approximate matches" together. Apart from hampering
performance considerably, we would face problems like "which of these
really is the right title?" (for use in the album list) and we could end
up grouping albums with almost-but-not-exactly the same titles together
incorrectly.

In the case of manually ripped the CDs, this problem would be
nonexistant (same album tag on all tracks), and since Muine is not
designed to be able to deal with the broken tags of your *ster download
collection anyway, I don't see this as a big problem. Tagging them with
a program like easytag is always an option ..

> -if i change the idtags manually, muine does not update the album library, so
> i am stuck with this duplicates

It rereads them on startup, if the files have changed. FAM support
coming once a new mono release is out ..