Re: [Muine] Info dialogs revisited

Hi,

On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 03:13 +0200, Viet Yen Nguyen wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 00:58, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I also did a proposal on information dialogs. It's here:
> > http://huizen.dds.nl/~jbaayen/infodialog-proposal.html
> >
> > (Obviously heavily inspired by Lars' mockups :) )
> >
> > Again, comments appreciated!
>
> Hell, it is late for me, but if I don't reply now, I'll probably forget
> it to do tomorrow ;)
>
> First, I think they are very intuitive and should be very usable for the
> common user. However, I want to mention some details about these mockups
> that should not be left out.
>
> The details that should not be overlooked are "graying out" the options.
> For example, the album information dialog, if an album does not have a
> cover (because it is not found or some other reason), the user should
> not press the "Remove album cover" button. Therefore, I believe this
> should be grayed out.
>
> The same goes for the "Move Up", "Move Down", "Track Details" and
> "Remove" buttons on the other dialogs, in case a selection has not been
> made.

I have updated the proposal mentioning these sensitivity issues.

> Lastly, I think that the artist/performer dialog would be more concise
> if the "Add" and "Remove" buttons would be named respectively "Add
> Artist/Performer" and "Remove Artist/Performer",
>
> However, this leads to the problem of too large buttons... Perhaps
> someone else has an idea to solve that.

Yea, this would be nice- but it really doesn't fit I'm afraid. Unless we
put the buttons at the bottom, which looks more confusing because we
have the close button under there ..

> And another thing, perhaps the following is not a real problem, but for
> if a user, for example, only wants to change the genres of a song, the
> user would need to navigate three windows deep into the application,
> which is quite far. This amount of memorisation looks minimal, but for
> applications as Word and Excel it has been proved that this amount is
> actually too much states to memorise. On the other hand, their GUI is
> not as intuitive as Muine's ;)

Tag editing is not Muine's focus, so I think this is not too big of an
issue- plus, it's only two levels, not three, as the user can call up
the song information dialog directly, instead of going through the album
info dialog first. But yea, I do agree it is sub-optimal.. but direct
editing in the song info window through a combo box won't work I think,
because there would be just too many items in the combo.