Re: [mousetrap-list] Proposal: Bug tracker changes

Hello All,

I've been observing development and thinking about this for a while now and I also had a brief conversation with Joanie. I thought that it would help me to understand to go back and review what I see as my goals with the project to give me some perspective. Here is what I see as the overarching goals for MouseTrap and my thoughts, in priority order:

1. Develop MouseTrap as a GNOME module. MouseTrap needs to be a real product supported by a real community, the GNOME community. I do not want to create a new community nor do I want to develop on my own which is likely to lead to a dead-end project. MouseTrap users will  be from the GNOME A11y community so I think we need to develop as part of that community. In addition, we need more members to push the effort along. We need users to give us feedback and experts to help solve problems. These will come from GNOME and will assume the use of GNOME infrastructure, including GNOME Bugzilla.

2. Support student learning via MouseTrap. MouseTrap provides an interesting domain and a project of reasonable size to support student learning. The community plays in here as well as I want students to interact with, learn from, and contribute to the GNOME community, in particular, A11y. I want students to learn from a community rather than from a single individual (me).

3. Provide a vehicle for student professional accomplishment. I want students to contribute to a project that has actual users where their contributions are actually used. This means maintaining MouseTrap as a GNOME module.

4. Use MouseTrap as an outreach/learning vehicle for others in the form of hackfests, etc. Again here, having the weight of GNOME behind the project gives it credibility.

I understand the benefits of developing in Github with respect to ease of use, accessibility for students, and that it appears to ease development. However, the key aspect here is if we are to fulfill goal 1, MouseTrap as a GNOME module, we cannot have users submitting bugs to Github.  We must be a vehicle for directing users and developers and students towards GNOME, not away. I was on OpenHatch today and someone pinged me who had been at GUADEC and heard of MouseTrap due to Joanie's presentation there. It is clear to me that there are a wealth of benefits that MouseTrap reaps from being a GNOME module including marketing, support, credibility, and more.

Having said this, I do think that we can do local development in Github.

I suggest the following workflow:

1. All bugs filed in GNOME Bugzilla

2. Claim a bug from GNOME bugzilla and bring to github

3. Develop, test, debug, perfect on Github. This could include iterations on Github

4. Submit patches to GNOME when ready.

Yes, we will need to figure out how to get this to work as new bugs are discovered during development on github. But I think that it is critical that we maintain GNOME infrastructure.

Heidi