Re: What would you do to encourage application developers on GNOME Mobile?

On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 15:47 +0100, Jamie Bennett wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 16:28 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 15:18 +0100, Jamie Bennett wrote:
> > > So is the 'be-all-and-end-all' criteria that mobile Linux GTK app's
> > > need
> > > to run on Harmattan? Nokia's push has been indeed immense but GTK on
> > > their devices is slowly dying in favour of QT so any push in this
> > > direction seems somewhat short-sighted.
> >
> > I don't know. I think that's the point of this money from Nokia.
> >
> > Even if it isn't, GTK+ apps on Harmattan is doable, though they would
> > never be quite right. So it seems very worthwhile to let our apps at
> > least run reasonably on a (probably) widely-distributed consumer
> > hardware platform, without people having to reinstall their entire OS.
>
> But the point is that Nokia and GTK are set to split up. Targeting their
> devices may not be such a good idea especially as they are enforcing a
> 'MeeGo Compliance' test

I haven't seen any real description of any such thing, other than in
terms of the Meego trademark. Please enlighten me.

>  which may or may not include/exclude GTK.

But they have said that they want GTK+ to be community supported. So
it's not at all likely that they will ban GTK+ apps from being installed
on Maemo devices. That's not their track record either.

[snip]

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com