Re: What would you do to encourage application developers on GNOME Mobile?

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:11 AM, Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org> wrote:
> Nokia recently approved a budget for the GNOME Foundation to encourage GNOME
> applications on Maemo 5 and MeeGo. We have around $50,000. In Maemo 5 and
> MeeGo, GTK+ is "community supported". This funding is to help us to
> encourage and ensure that happens in the best way possible.
>
> What would you do with that budget to encourage more application developers
> to choose GTK+ for mobile development and to ensure those applications run
> on MeeGo?
>
> There are a number of different approaches we could take and I'd like to
> hear the community's opinion.
>
> Some that have come up:
>
> * Pay a consulting company to make sure GTK+ apps run well on Maemo/MeeGo.

This could be useful is the company is good.  Really depends on the
company but the goal itself is relevant.  The company should of course
provide a GTK+ demo on MeeGo with reference binaries.

> * Buy devices to hand out to developers.

I'm going to guess a starving developer submitted this one ;-)  I do
not like this idea as it scratches an itch that might never produce
real results.  Also, as this field matures more and more apps
developers will be working for professional outfits looking to
monetize the next big "fart sound" app, and with real VC backing these
companies won't need GNOME handing out free hardware.

> * Invest in GTK+ documentation for developers.

I think the docs are pretty good already.

> * Invest in marketing/events.

We need real development in the mobile space.  Up until this point
there has been more marketing than development.  NACK.

> * Provide bounties for GTK+ mobile applications. (Have a list of things we
> need or need improved like multitouch.)

Much like the first suggestion, this could have real benefits if the
apps are useful and the developers are good.

> * Create documentation for how to port GTK+ apps to Maemo/MeeGo (if needed.)

This could be combined with the above or with the first suggestion.
Have cheese ported to MeeGo, or get Empathy's VTC stuff working well
on a handset, document the process and make it all public.

> * Have a GTK+ mobile application contest.

This is like a bounty in disguise, so the comments above apply.

> Thoughts? Ideas?

I think the suggestions emphasizing development, demos and real code
are the best.  I think that many people feel that GNOME is a footnote
in MeeGo at the moment; if a dedicated team of developers can prove
otherwise then it could breathe life into GTK+ on that platform, but
most people are in wait-and-see mode.

Mike