Re: [Fwd: [Announce] Intel and Nokia announce open source telephony project (oFono)]

Dave Neary schrieb:
> Hi all,
Hi!

> Interesting development - Intel and Nokia have announced that they're
> releasing a telephony stack together, and are actively looking for third
> parties to help develop it. People from both companies will co-maintain
> the package.
> We mentioned telephony stack as a missing piece of the GNOME Mobile
> stack some time ago - what are opinions of this one?

The first interesting thing is that Intel is moving into the mobile
telephony space. Second is that market leader Nokia joins efforts with a
third party for a core competency (quite unusual).
But third is most confusing: There was and is Freesmartphone.org which
basically aims at the very same goal with the very same ideas in mind
and the same technologies being used to implement it (DBus) - and it has
been developed for the past two/three years and made very good progress.

Why didn't Nokia nor Intel get in touch with the FSO developers before
starting yet another project?
Perhaps someone from Nokia and/or Intel could comment on that?

Apart from that the design and implementation looks quite OK - but makes
the choice even harder for either FSO or oFono to become Gnome/mobile parts.

At the last Gnome/mobile meeting at LFCS I already wanted to propose FSO
to become "external dependency". For the time being I would still vote
for FSO since it is
- 100% community driven
- has a larger focus (not just GSM DBus "relay")
- has a working reference implementation

I would really appreciate comments from Nokia and Intel here, especially
on how they see their approach differs from FSO and what the advantages
/ disadvantages are (on a pure technical level - no flames of course ;)

> Cheers,
> Dave.
Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535
http://www.kernelconcepts.de