Feedback for the quarterly report?

Hi GNOME Mobile members,

I'm putting together a quarterly report for GNOME for Q2 2009 (April,
May and June). I asked Dave Neary to write it. As I was working on
integrating it into the report, I thought I'd check to see if anyone
has anything to add or edit.

Thanks!

Stormy

GNOME Mobile (Dave Neary)

During the second quarter of 2009, a lot of GNOME mobile related
technologies were announced or released such as the Moblin release,
oFono, ConnMan, SyncEvolution, and the announcement of the Nokia &
Intel co-operation agreement.

Intel released Moblin 2, and a lot of work which had been done behind
closed doors exploded into the public eye. Moblin includes a number of
libraries specifically targeting mobile use-cases, including oFono and
ConnMan, which were both developed in co-operation with Nokia, and
SyncEvolution, which are promising additions to the GNOME platform on
mobile devices.

GNOME Mobile at GUADEC:

The Gran Canaria Desktop Summit schedule was loaded down with
mobile-related presentations this year - including the very successful
mobile track on Wednesday. The mobile influence was also clear during
the free desktop part of the conference, with keynote by Dr. Walter
Bender on Sugar and Quim Gil on Maemo, and a number of lightning talks
on mobile related projects including Anjal, a new mobile mail client.

Core GNOME technologies in use on mobile platforms were prominently
featured throughout the conference. Notably, Telepathy, Tracker,
Gstreamer and Clutter got prominent exposure. Newer technologies
including ConnMan, SyncEvolution and GeoClue were also presented.

After three years of the GNOME Mobile initiative, we can clearly say
that mobile is now well and truly part of the GNOME psyche.

GNOME Mobile at OSCON

Paul Cooper and Dave Neary traveled to OSCON, where they represented
GNOME Mobile in a well attended session. They outlined the two key
use-cases where the GNOME stack has gained traction on mobile devices:
as a great base on which to build general purpose operating systems with
novel user interfaces adapted for small screen sizes and different input
methods, such as Sugar, Maemo and Moblin, and in vertical embedded
applications with restricted user interfaces, allowing ODMs to rapidly
build and develop reliable and usable user interfaces for their devices,
as was the case for Vernier's LabQuest, the Garmin Nüvi 860, Bug Labs'
BUG and Subersonic Imagine's Aixplorer cancer detection system.

In addition to Paul and Dave's presentation, Dirk Hohndel of Intel also
presented the Moblin vision in a keynote, and there were a number of
presentations on developing visually rich applications with Clutter.

Plans for Q3 include:

OSiM World:

This year, OSiM World in Amsterdam, 15th and 16th of September, will
feature presentations from several GNOME Foundation members:
 * KEYNOTE: Hands On With Open Source for the Mobile Internet, Imad
Sousou, Intel
 *  Best Practice Techniques on Successfully Maintaining the Open Source
Company and Developer Relationship: Dave Neary, Director, GNOME

 * Afternoon debate:  Afternoon Debate: What is the Best Way to Share Code?
 Panel, with:
# Ralph Mueller, Director of Ecosystem Development, Eclipse Foundation
# Dave Neary, Director, GNOME Foundation
# Jay Sullivan, Vice President, Mobile, Mozilla Corporation

 *  Creating Open Browsers: What To Do and What Not To Do: Jay Sullivan,
 Mozilla Corporation
 * Strategies for Driving Open Mobile Innovation, David Schlesinger, ACCESS
 *  Can't Open Source Be User-Friendly? Ari Jaaksi, Nokia
 *  Open Source is Unstoppable: What Are The Tipping Points for Mobile
Open Source? Morgan Gillis, LiMo Foundation

GNOME Mobile will get a release with the rest of the GNOME platform,
September 21st, 2009!