Re: Usability study for GNOME on netbooks?

Hi Stormy,

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 15:53 -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:
> As many of you know, I'm interested in putting together a usability
> study for GNOME on netbooks.

While it's cool that we've got some resources for a usability study I
question whether this is the best vehicle to spend those resources on.

I guess the question in my mind is what is the impact of the results
going to be. I think it's fairly easy to see that stock, out of the box
GNOME has big problems on a netbook, and I fear that all we would get
from a test is a validation of what we know is wrong; default panels
waste precious real estate, targets are too small and menus too fiddly
for the crappy (uh I mean suboptimal) trackpads, certain apps and config
windows are unusable at netbook resolutions, etc, etc.

If we had a 'optimised' GNOME config[1] for netbooks that attempted to
fix most of this 'obvious' low hanging fruit then that would be worth
testing - but getting to that point takes time for people to think about
the design constraints, brainstorm ideas, come up with a plan and then
execute it.

But wait - that's exactly what happened at the Boston Summit! (but not
directly for netbooks). I would suggest that the GNOME Shell would be a
better subject for the testing - it's young enough that the feeback
would have a greater impact in refining new ideas, and reset direction
(if needed). Plus it would help validate a design that is probably the
most user visible change in the GNOME 3.0 plans or warn us if there are
big problems.

So in summary; +1000 for doing a usability study, -1 for doing it on
stock GNOME on a netbook

Paul

[1] For example, the most 'critically acclaimed' netbook UX AFAICT is
the MIE created by HP & Canonical. It looks nothing like a traditional
'desktop' and solves many of the obvious issues. Of course underneath
it's all the familiar GNOME stuff you'd expect but optimised for the
small screen and suboptimal keyboard and trackpad (although the Mini
1000 that it ships on has the best keyboard & trackpad on a netbook that
I've used).