Re: Usability study for GNOME on netbooks?

 Thanks for kicking this effort!

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009, Stormy Peters wrote:
> - Figure out best way to get useful feedback, (what do we want to test)

 On the "what do we want to test" front, one key aspect is making sure
 GNOME apps are convenient to use on the available resources.

 Here's an example non-exhaustive list from most important to least
 important of things I'd care about:
 - covers netbook use cases: web browsing, IM, mail, music/video
   playback, photo mgmt, photo booth, audio/video calls...
 - fits the screen: application can actually display in a 1024x576 (e.g.
   dell mini 9) or 800x480 (for the EeePC 7xx), including some room for
   panels
 - is actually usable on the display: not too many widgets for the
   available screen estate, some room to display *contents*; e.g. ensure
   all apps can be fullscreen-ed
 - touch friendly: buttons are large enough to be hit by fat fingered
   users either with small touchpads or touchscreens
 - system friendly: doesn't use too much RAM, disk (needs enough RAM to
   start e.g. a mail client and a web browser and should be able to
   install GNOME in 2 GB hard disk), has reasonnable startup time, not
   too many wakeups etc.

 It's not clear to me whether such research should be done with GNOME
 tip on a per application basis, or using distros or...

   Cheers
--
Loïc Minier