Re: Goal for GNOME Mobile?

Hi,

2008/11/8 Peter Robinson <pbrobinson gmail com>:
>> I think GNOME Mobile could use a goal. Something we are all aiming for. (And
>> perhaps we have one and I'm not aware of it.) We have a mission that is
>> good, http://gnome.org/mobile.
>>
> What about collaboration with something like LiMo so that there's less
> need to expand into kernel space or reinvent the wheel?

As LiMo's Open Source Manager, I couldn't agree more! And as Lefty
indicates, you can expect to see more engagement from us. I also think
heading toward kernel space is a path to pain - it would take Gnome
Mobile into distribution territory, and I think there's probably
plenty of distributions already ;-)

I'd suggest a goal as something like "facilitating Gnome adoption on
diverse devices", with the subtext that devices are everything "sub
desktop" -- MIDs, UMPCs, netbooks, smartphones, phones, embedded
devices, ...

To me, Mobile suggest getting Gnome moving cross-device, and solving
the challenges inherent in delivering an experience on very different
platforms.

Andrew.
--
asavory apache org / contact andrewsavory com
http://www.andrewsavory.com/