Re: Where can I download Gnome Mobile?

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 16:17 +0200, Lionel Dricot wrote:

> I think it's a very interesting question. It points out the fact that,
> while Gnome Mobile seems to be cool, nobody but gnome mobile
> developpers know exactly what it is.

   Afaik

The GNOME mobile team is working on this. Right now GNOME mobile comes
down to "a collection of components that are known and tested to work
well together".

Most of these components are being used by several of the
mini-distributions that claim to do GNOME mobile.

If you want to build your own distribution, then I think Poky is a good
starting point. On top of supporting all those components, it also comes
with increasingly better development tools.

> I believe that it should be more clear on the website what Gnome
> Mobile is and is not and the answer to those questions should be
> immediate :
>
> 1) What benefits will I have if I use Gnome Mobile to build my device
> 2) What are the alternatives to Gnome Mobile (so I see better how it
> fit in the market)
> 3) How do I build a proptotype using Gnome Mobile with my hardware ?

Agree

> I had myself some difficulties to answer those questions when I
> presented Gnome Mobile to my boss.

Please do tell us about this. The conclusions of your conversation with
your boss definitely is interesting for the GNOME Mobile group.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog
http://codeminded.be