Re: Movial to enable an ARM Mobile Linux platform

Hi Sampo,

> Movial is working with ARM and partners to contribute to GNOME and existing
> projects to help the use and integration of open source technology with mobile
> platforms. This builds on existing work from open source developers and
> contributions from companies building mobile devices. The main contributions
> will be around the UI framework and browser technology. The libaries and
> techniques used are those familiar from Gnome Mobile stack. New mobile
> components we will be working with are components like HAL, Gnome Network
> Manager, Gnome Volume Manager and Mozilla based browser.

Just some question:

- What do you mean with "UI framework"? Something like Hildon, Sugar
or OpenMoko UI?
- Will you target any specific form-factors?

> This work aims at supporting existing efforts in building a complete set of
> open source components targeting mobile platforms instead of starting 'yet
> another new project'. ARM processors are widely used in existing mobile
> platforms where power, performance and integration are key. Cooperation with
> ARM and its partners should help in making GNOME and related open source
> projects more successful in building mobile devices using open source software
> components. An important goal for the work being done is to contribute to the
> respective opensource projects and thus to contribute in having a solid and
> opensource Gnome Mobile stack.

Do you have any architecture/design docs online or a more specific plan?

> Please feel free to ask questions, send comments and talk about the subjects
> with ARM or Movial guys on various mailing lists and IRC channels.

I'm just curious. :-)

--lucasr