Selectively removing button grab on panel?

Hi,

I'm interested in changing the behaviour of gnome-panel such that it's
only possible to move it when MOD1 (default: ALT) is pressed, to get
around bug 309721.[1] In attempting to make this change, I realized
quickly that metacity needs to be modified in order for this to happen,
because it's grabbing all mouse button events when the alt-key is
depressed.

Is there a way around this? I was playing around with the event loop in
metacity today, and I figured out that I can disable the button event
grab on a specific panel window when it's clicked on in the event loop
(via meta_change_button_grab and its associated call to XUngrabButton),
but I guess what I really need is to disable the button event grab for
those windows at the very beginning.

[1] For more discussion, see:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2008-February/001446.html
--