Re: memprof without X

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 14:35, Timothy Prepscius wrote:
> I've been messing with memprof trying to remove the GUI and have it
> run when no X display is available, printing out information every X
> seconds.
>
> I have successfully been able to get it to run without a gui.  However
> when it initializes the gnome/gtk? libraries it uses for
> pipes/sockets, I guess it also continues to try to connect to a
> display even when there is no need for one.
>
> Has anyone done this before?

The very first version of memprof was a non-GUI perl script (though
it still used Perl/GTK+ for the mainloop.)

gtk_init_check() can be used to check for whether a display is
available. However, the use of GNOME libraries inside memprof
may make using this harder. You probably can call gtk_init_check()
first, and then call gnome_program_init() later if that succeeds...
it isn't really "proper" but should work fine except for some
unlikely command line combinations.

The pipes/socket handling code in memprof shouldn't require
any sort of display connection.

> Is it appropriate to post a code archive set to this mailing group?

Patches against the current code are appropriate here, and better
than an entire archive.

Regards,
						Owen