Re: Timeline for the upcoming elections

On Tue, March 6, 2012 3:32 am, Tobias Mueller wrote:
Hey folks,

I just realised, that "the President" or "a Director" shall call for for
the elections:

Here the bylaws including my comment:
bylaws as of April 5, 2002 wrote:
Notice of Meetings

A notice of each annual meeting, written ballot for election of
Directors or otherwise, if
any, and special meeting shall be given by the President or, in case of
his or her failure or refusal, by
any other officer or any Director; shall specify the place, time, day
and hour of the meeting or the
date on which the ballot shall be returned, if applicable; in the case
of an annual meeting at which
Directors shall be elected, shall specify the names of all those who are
candidates for election of
Directors at the time the notice is given, and in the case of special
meetings, the nature of the
business to be transacted thereat. Such notice shall be given in writing
to every member of the
Corporation who, on the record date for notice of the meeting, is
entitled to vote thereat. Such notice
shall be given either personally or by sending a copy thereof by
first-class mail or by telephone
communication, including a voice messaging system or other system or
technology designed to
record and communicate messages, telegraph, facsimile, electronic mail,
or other electronic means,
either directly to the member or to a person at the member's office who
would reasonably be
expected to communicate such notice promptly to the member at least
thirty (30) days prior to the
date fixed for such meeting in the case of an annual meeting and at
least ten (10) days in the case of
all other meetings.

:comment:`Hm. The President has to call for elections? That's a bit
ruff`

So well, as with the other mail I sent, I think we should prepare to
make amendments to the bylaws. I would expect some sort of legal advice
to be necessary.

Up to that point I think the current president should send the
announcement I prepared.
And one might also read the fact from the bylaws, that the notice
(including all candidates) shall be send 30 days days prior to the
closing date for the elections. In that case, a new schedule must be
prepared.

Cheers,
  Tobi

Hey Tobi,

I've been going through the bylaws and getting SFLC's help too. I think
there are a bunch of changes we'll need to make for various reasons. I
think there's a disconnect between what the bylaws say and how we run our
elections - we run them annually, but not really at our annual meeting,
which we actually have, but at a different time, so you could argue that
if this is an electronic meeting it's not the annual one, in which case 10
days notice would be sufficient. I think in reality, we can't actually
satisfy our bylaws to the letter and run our elections as we have been
doing (not at our annual meeting). Giving 30 days notice for elections
wouldn't be bad though.

karen