Re: Various concerns on foundation membership process

It's clear that there are some problems with membership requests, and I
guess that there are two or three reasons:

 * We have no way to evaluate local user group contributions in the
GNOME Foundation
 * GNOME is Euro and US centric, and perhaps we have difficulty
recognising contributions outside Europe
 * The membership committee doesn't have a clear set of guidelines for
admitting GNOME Foundation members (for example, should "GUADEC
volunteer" suffice for foundation membership? How about "member of
GNOME-fr/GNOME Hispano/GNOME Chile"?)

Some suggestions that came out of discussions I had in GUADEC (please
feel free to add others):

 * Empower user groups to award GNOME Foundation membership to local
volunteers (needs good guidelines)
Actually, when someone from a local group apply for membership, and if
s/he supply reference name for local group responsible people, we
directly ask them and rely on his/her comments. That's almost same with
delegating local groups to do the job.

The major problem for evaluation still holds, even with such a
situation. If local responsible (Translation coordinator or even
organizer) is not member of foundation, should it be suffice to decide
applicants contributions? In past we did not check if reference name is
foundation member or not, but to be honest, we should have.

 * Ensure that local user groups are represented on membership-community
I think it's better to prepare some kind of proposals about why any
contributor should be member of foundation. It should be clear and
convincing. Lots of people from local groups (I know from mine) do not
know even if GNOME Foundation exists as an entity. Because we have no
translated information for those things, and on gnome.org it's not easy
to see related links. Membership should be more valuable than having
@gnome.org alias for people. Since then, we can increase collaboration
with local people.

 * Change from application-based to invitation-based membership, so that
existing GNOME Foundation members can invite non-foundation members to
join (needs a process)
That would be cure for lots of problems. Because lots of applications do
not have references, and that's the reason that they are rejected
somehow. It would be easy to process applications which is invitation
based, in which we would know at least one reference.

Bad side of this is to let lobbying in a long period. So I think direct
applications should be available as well.

 * Have a fall-back in the case where a membership sponsor doesn't reply
- perhaps foundation-list?
Should be in guidelines.

 * Figure out how to evaluate non-technical contributions (art,
marketing, event organisation, GNOME Love, spreading GNOME)
References up to now, was the only way that we were trying to understand
if contribution is trivial.

One thing is for sure - we need to change something, because right now a
fairly significant group of people is feeling disenfranchised.
I agree. For late applications, I put the blame on me, totally. We had
to change the system for easy tracking and reliable storing of
membership database. Those waiting applications will get their
'Accepted' mails as soon as sysadmin team setup the scripts. (I sent my
recent changes yesterday).

After setting up the membership management related stuff, we should
actually call new volunteers to membership committee, as today only me
and Sankarshan is working. But the plan was to finish things so new
volunteers meet with the new system, not the old confusing cvs based
processing system. Hopefully in a week we'll have all the things handy
with documentations.

Cheers,
Dave.