Application received from Gerald Friedland (fractor AT gmail.com)

Name: Gerald Friedland
E-mail: fractor AT gmail.com
irc.gnome.org nickname (if any): fractor
cvs.gnome.org username (if any):

Detailed description:
I designed and, together with Kristian Jantz,
implemented a GIMP plugin called siox4gimp.
SIOX stands for Simple Interactive Object Extraction and is a solution for extracting foreground from still
images with little user interaction.
Together with Sven Neumann we integrated the algorithm as a tool in GIMP 2.3.3. Currently, we are enhancing
and extending the algorithm and GIMP's implementation so that in GIMP 2.4, we will have a nice and nifty
killer feature :-)

More information on this project can be found at http://www.siox.org

Contacts:
Sven Neumann (sven gimp org) Maintainer of GIMP, Michael Natterer (mitch gimp org) Co-Maintainer of GIMP.

For my CVS contributions to GIMP you may check the Changelog of
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gimp/app/base/siox.c

My opinion is that more researchers should contribute to open source projects. New technology should appear
in open source projects first. Although this was my first bigger contribution to an important GNOME project,
I am now planning to target my research projects so that I will be able to contribute further.

[Application received at Thu Oct 27 15:05:21 2005 (Eastern time)]

If you have any questions, you can contact the membership committee by
replying to this mail. Please note that the delay for your application
to be processed can be up to one month.