Re: Things to do/Roadmap

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 12:10:07AM +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
Hi all

Now that elections have (nearly) ended, it's time to look at what we've
got to do, so here's a quick TODO list.

I send it to get some input. And if you can start to work on/think about
some of the items, it'd be great.

1) Process remaining applications
=================================
Ok, I have to admit: this will never end, we'll always have remaining
applications :-) Anyway, this is our main job, so we have to process
them. I didn't look at the new ones (except for jpr that I forgot to
marked as accepted...). It'd be great to process them before Christmas.

2) New infrastructure
=====================
I'd like to change our very old infrastructure to something totally
automated. Eric, you worked a bit on this some months ago. Do you still
have what you wrote? This should really help us to process the
applications quickly. I can work on it if it is needed, but not before
January.
I'm sure we can do this before March. I absolutely want this before
next summer.

I think it's doable by January if I can get PHP to place nicely with
Apache.  I've had to reinstall Debian on my machine and haven't been
able to get this working correctly since.  I'd appreciate a bit of
help troubleshooting my development setup.  I'm using the Debian
packages and am not sure if the packages are at fault or the Apache
configuraiton.

3) Anonymous voting referendum
==============================
The board asked us to organize a referendum, so just let's do it! This
should be a lot easier than elections. The first thing to do is to write
a timeline. I think I did work on one some times ago, but I can't find
it anymore... Here's a quick suggestion:

Beginning of February: announce that the referendum begins two weeks
later
Mid-February: send ballots, beginnong of voting period.
Two weeks later: end of voting period.
Beginning of March: preliminary results are out.
One week later: official results.

What do you think? Any volunteer to work a bit on this and propose a
good timeline?

I think there should be two things we need before the election can
start.  A timeline is one.  A description of how the anonymous voting
mechanism will operate is the second.  I believe the foundation-list
was still debating the merits of how to implement the anonymous voting
before the elections.  It would be good to see the discussion revived.

4) Discussing with the board
============================
I'd like to see some discussion with the (future) board. The main
problems I'd like to see fixed are:
 * the duration of a membership (I think moving to one-year membership
   might be a good thing). Hrm... This might not be our role as
   membership committee to discuss this. Maybe I should try to launch a
   discussion on foundation-list...
 * I'd like to see all renewals happen at the same date. So memberships
   would all expire on September 1st, e.g. This might be easier for us
   to manage. What do you think of this?

I think it is our role to bring to the board items which we see as
hindering our ability to serve the Foundation's membership.  I believe
both are valid points which need some more discussion.  Particularly
I'd like to see the renewals happen on the same date.

5) Renewing the committee
=========================
Maybe it's time for some fresh blood. There are two things here we
should think about:
 * how many people should be in the committee? When we joined the
   committee, we were five (remember Mike) (note to Glynn: I'm not
   sure... were you still in the committee?). Now, we're four.
 * do we want to stay or to leave?
I know Ghee is on vacation, so here's what I suggest: we should all
start to think about it and we'll discuss this in January.
FIY, at least two people are interested in joining the committee. And
still FYI, I don't know if I want to stay or leave (or if I should), so
discussing this in January will allow me to determine what I want to do.

This isn't our decision to make.  However I believe we should provide
some guidance to the board.  I believe the committee should be no
larger than six people and not smaller than three people.  I would
like to stay a member of the committee.  There are some things I want
to see done before I leave the committee.  Getting the membership
database and interface working is something I'd like to see completed.

I have been approached by one person who would like to be a part of
this committee.  I know Vincent has been approached by a different
person.  I believe it is time to grow the membership committee if no
one wants to leave or allow people to leave without feeling guilty
over leaving us one short.

Eric Baudais

--
They give you illusion that has the appearance of truth.  I give you
truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion.