Re: disable the "recent" functionality in meld

On Sat, 2 May 2020 at 17:06, Fourhundred Thecat <400thecat gmx ch> wrote:
Hello,

how can I disable the "recent" functionality in meld?

Meld creates files such as these:

   ~/.local/share/meld/recent-p260e59z.meldcmp

and shows the history in

   files -> open recent

I looked in preferences how to disable this, but did not find any option.

When I make the directory ~/.local/share/meld/ unwritable, meld reports
error and does not even start:

PermissionError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
'~/.local/share/meld/recent-p260e59z.meldcmp'

I consider this history "feature" as evil. The idea of opening files
from history instead of from file paths seems confusing. How do you
distinguish files with same names, but in different locations ?

Recent comparisons are stored using file URIs (or paths on older versions).

Anyways, How can I disable this misfeature?

There's no preference for this, and I am not interested in adding one.

If there is no option in preferences, can somebody suggest how to modify
the python code to disable this ?

The core of the recently used handling is in `meld/recent.py`. It's probably possible to simply return from a few functions there to get empty files lists and not add new entries.

cheers,
Kai